Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy 94th Birthday, Olivia de Havilland!

Today is Olivia de Havilland's birthday, and she is 94 years old! We are so lucky to still have her here with us, and I for one, am very glad we do.

Although Jimmy and Olivia never made any films together during Hollywood's Golden Era (They both appeared in Airport '77, 1977), they did cross paths in the Hollywood social circle, as I'm sure you've all heard. In 1939 and probably the early 1940s, Jimmy and Olivia dated, quite seriously. I've even read that Jimmy was going to propose to her. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but Olivia did say that Errol Flynn was really jealous of her relationship with Jim and would make awful jokes on the set. Aw, poor Jimmy!

To celebrate Olivia's birthday, I dug through my very-unorganized Jimmy pictures folder and found a few adorable photos of them together.

Jimmy & Olivia relaxing, 1940

Original caption: Leland Hayward with his wife actor Margaret Sullavan, Jimmy Stewart (back) and Olivia de Havilland dining at a restaurant, circa 1940.

At the Oscars.

Here is a photo from the 1949 Academy Awards on May 23, 1950:

The original caption from LIFE magazine reads: Actor Jimmy Stewart escorting actress Olivia de Havilland backstage for press pictures after she won the Oscar for Best Actress in "The Heiress," at the 22nd annual Academy Awards at the RKO Pantages theater.

Happy birthday, Olivia and wishing you many more birthdays in the years to come!

1 comment:

  1. I suspect the first photo (the picnic) might have been taken in the summer of 1940 because they didn't start dating until that year.

    In the third picture, Olivia didn't wear that dress at the 1939 Oscars (Feb 29, 1940). They both went with different dates and weren't officially going out yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails